Friday, December 16, 2011

Giving Myself an Hour

I am always covered in paint. I can't help it, don't even know how it happens. I will start a project and within twenty minutes I have paint on my hands, face, clothes and in my hair.

Giving Myself an Hour

I believe that there are certain things that you can only learn by doing. Painting is one of them. In the many years that I have been painting, one of the most valuable tools, if not THE most valuable tool, has been the painting of quick studies. I used to give myself the entire day to complete a painting, but I learned that I can learn so much more about “editing” a painting by allowing myself only one hour in which to complete a simpler painting. This is not about creating extraordinary paintings, but about learning what to keep and what not to keep, and forcing myself to make quick decisions has been such a great tool. I highly recommend this to artists, whether you be a beginner or if you have been painting for many years, allowing yourself only an hour to complete a painting will tremendously help your technique and improve your skills.
Tips:
* Get a timer, set it for 60 minutes and DO NOT go over the 60 minutes. Even if your painting isn’t completely finished, you must discipline yourself to stay within the hour.

* Start with a small painting surface. I wouldn’t go any larger than 8X10” at first

* Keep your palette simple. If you try to get too colorful, you will end up complicating a painting that was meant to remain simple.

* Practice everyday, don’t give up. I promise that you will be richly rewarded.

Other recent paintings:






Blog contest for January:

Win ANY painting in my shop right now!!! Visit my Shop
As you do the following, please comment on this blog post which of the “entries” you have done.
All you have to do is the following:
Each of the below counts for 1 entry. Of course the more entries you have, the greater your chances of winning.
1. Follow this blog.
2. Heart my shop
3. Follow on Twitter
4. Become a fan on Facebook
5. Sign up for my Newsletter (only sent out once a month by email)
6. Email me a suggestion on how you would improve my shop, or an idea for a new painting or a marketing suggestion (new email address just for this purpose)
Winner is chosen at random on the last day of the month and announced on the first of
Thank you and good luck!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great work! Your paintings and photos are amazing. I also really like the idea of setting aside an hour for creativity. Sometimes, I get super obsessed with a project and spend all day tinkering with it -- but I think there is sometimes a lot of value in stepping away. Thanks for the tip. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete